Monday, April 02, 2007

1 Month Post-Op



I did not put any makeup on for these pictures so please excuse the "au naturale" look. And the profile pic has my hair in my face but you get the idea.

Wow. One month ago today I was just out of surgery and recovering. What a month it has been. So bad, yet so good. So expectedly tough, yet so surprisingly easy.

My left nostril now has feeling. Top gums are still completely numb, and the feeling in my chin is slowly coming back. Still getting the pins-and-needles there. For those who've had a genio, do you get as paranoid as I do about bumping your chin? I've bumped mine accidentally a few times...against my kids' heads, against my husband...I even bump it with my own hand sometimes when I'm brushing my hair or whatever. I bumped it against my husband's shoulder the other day and ran to the bathroom to make sure it was still in place. Haha. I have dreams about my chin either going back to the way it was or getting shifted off to the side.

I still have swelling around my nose. My nose is still crooked. Buuuuut, I try to be patient.

Since I got powerchains on my top braces and the gaps have been closing up, I'm getting the strangest feeling there. Sort of like a tickly feeling. The best way I can describe it is it's like tiny bubbles dancing along my gums. It's only in one particular spot, near where a big gap used to be. It's closed up now, after only a couple of weeks. I know if I had feeling there, my top teeth would hurt from all that movement.

My bite is still way off, but I'm so much better at remembering where to place my jaws, and learning to chew again. Still wearing my bands 14 hours a day. There are tiny bands all over my bathroom. In the tub, toilet, sink, bathmat. Those little buggers can fly when they're accidentally flicked.

I have a sinus infection. It's funny because my sinuses have been so clear for about 3 weeks straight, which is unusual for me. I can usually clear up my sinus infections with Nasonex, Sudafed and if it's really bad, a salt-water sinus rinse. I was hoping this surgery would make my sinuses drain more effectively, but then again I am still swollen around there, which could be the culprit.

All in all, I'm doing really great. Life is gone on as normal. I don't really miss the foods I can't eat. I've grown very used to cutting food up, tearing food apart, and smooshing food down. No biggie.

Man, I can't believe how fast this month flew by!

2 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Blogger J said...

You look fabulous, Rebecca! No need for make-up.

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger Mrs. Shanton said...

Lookin' good, Rebecca!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home