Thursday, March 29, 2007

Post-op oral surgeon visit #2

I travel 40 minutes each way for 5 minutes with Dr. C. I just love him that much. Ha.

This morning's visit was short but sweet. All Dr. C wanted to do was check my "wounds" (as he called them). Everything is healing nicely. Then of course he asks, always with a hint of a playful, mocking smile, "How's the diet going?" like he KNOWS that's my biggest challenge. I told him, "Good, now that I can actually eat." Then he laughed. He felt around my chin and told me to move my lower jaw side to side, and then proclaimed everything to be perfect. He said, "Whatever you're doing, keep doing it because everything looks great."

I'm not sure if recovery is supposed to be this easy or if I'm just a good patient or if his other patients have problems or are complaining all the time, but I'm just glad it's going so well for me.

I also asked him when I can expect to stop feeling like I have false teeth on top, and he said it just takes time, possibly months, and some people never get feeling back all the way there. I did know this, but I just thought I'd bring it up.

On the way home, we drove by McDonalds and got hamburger Happy Meals for me and my 5 year old. Yes, I can eat hamburgers now, but ONLY McDonalds ones because they are so flat. I flatten them even more with my palm, then cut them into four sections. As for the fries, I can only eat the soggy ones. It's so much easier to eat now than it was two weeks ago. But then again, I've had tons of practice because I never STOP eating these days. I don't overdo and I try to take it easy on my jaws, and slow down when they start aching. They don't ache often though.

In other news, I have more feeling in my left nostril now, and it's slowly coming back in my chin area too. Whenever I wash my face or put on my foundation, I get a pins-and-needles feeling there. My face is still really stiff under and around my nose. I can't twitch my nose or pucker my lips, and smiling is still a chore.

Tomorrow it will be 4 weeks since I had surgery. On Monday it will be exactly one month. I can hardly believe it.

2 Comments:

At 3:00 AM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said...

Wow, I can't believe it has almost been a whole month either! Funny how it goes by so fast when it is someone else you are watching, but so slowly when it is you having it done.

Glad to hear you are eating well and that you seem to be healing so too! That is really great! You must be a model orthognathic surgery patient!

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Roopak Majmudar said...

I can't believe you get to eat hamburgers at 4 weeks! That seems like an eternity away for me.

I won't start eating soft sandwiches until 4 weeks post-op and burgers are probably another 2-4 weeks after that. Alright, I'm getting really really hungry now... :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home