Wednesday, February 21, 2007

How jaw surgery can make you develop a strong stomach

Before learning about my surgery, I was just as freaked out as the next guy about the prospect of getting one's jaw cut up. Now I can think about it and talk about it like I'm thinking and talking about getting my teeth cleaned. Now I find it fascinating, what will be done to me. What's funny is sometimes I forget this fact about myself, and I unwittingly gross people out. Someone will ask what my surgery entails, and as I explain it I watch as they slowly turn white (or green) and shudder, and tell me to stop. Even my husband can't stand to hear about sawing jaws apart and screws in bones and blood. It totally skeeves him out. He has a weak stomach for blood. Whereas I can watch Grey's Anatomy surgeries or even real-life surgeries on TV and not even flinch.

With 9 days left before my surgery, I find myself overthinking. I try to destract myself but it's tough to think about anything else. I've started making lists about what to buy and what to pack. Lists make me feel a little more in control and less anxious.

3 Comments:

At 12:38 AM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said...

Hey Rebecca,
I think this is funny as I find myself doing the same thing to some degree. I think maybe its a way of working through the fear, sorta like if I can talk about it more and I keep saying its no big deal then maybe it won't be! LOL..

I'm excited to see how your surgery goes. It is nice having so many of you to follow before I go for mine. I'm sure it will all be good!

oh...I added your blog address to my buddies list on my blog. I hope that is ok?

Brandy

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Mrs. Shanton said...

You're just like me. And I was like your husband the first time I heard of orthognathic surgery. I didn't know it by its name, but a friend of my parents was having it done, and I was horrified. Absolutely horrified.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I think that's exactly it, Brandy. A way of dealing with the unknown is educating the hell out of yourself until you're sort of immune to it all.

Sure, it's okay that you added my blog address. I'll add yours to mine too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home