Sunday, February 18, 2007

Dentists and food planning

I went to the dentist for a check-up and cleaning on Friday. For the first time ever, it was an extremely positive experience (aside from forking over a $200 payment at the end--did I mention I have no dental insurance?). My last cleaning in March of last year SUCKED and it was horribly painful. This time it was a breeze. I'm seeing a new dentist now and I love the office. I liked the dentist, but he looked so familiar to me that it's still driving me crazy trying to figure out where I've seen him before. Anyway, I told him all about my surgery and after looking at my teeth, he said they were perfect (no cavities!) and he thought I'd be very happy with my surgery results. The dental hygenist said I had very little plaque and that I was doing an "excellent job" with my dental care. Overall they were very positive and supportive. I'm still waiting for someone to say "You're nuts for having this surgery" but it hasn't happened yet.

Okay. Food planning. I'm not talking about post-op liquid food. I'm talking pre-op, fattening-up food. I decided what I want to eat the last week before the surgery, which is next (!!!) week (!!!). Next Sunday, five days pre-op, I'm making a huge pot of chili. I make an awesome chili. I'll eat that for two days. Then on Tuesday, 3 days pre-op, I'm going to roast a chicken. Chicken with stuffing, mashed potatoes, carrots, gravy...mmm mmm. My favorite meal. I'll eat off that for 2 days. The night before surgery, I think I'll eat a cheeseburger and fries because I know that's what I'll crave most post-op. Or maybe pizza. I haven't decided yet.

Know what I'm worrying about now, more than anything else? Getting sick. It's the winter, I have two children, germs and viruses are rampant. My kids haven't been sick in months, which means they are due for an illness soon. If I get sick they'll cancel my surgery. I don't know if I'll be able to stand that. More waiting? More anticipating? Ugh.

3 Comments:

At 3:46 AM, Blogger Mrs. Shanton said...

Have a slice of pizza AND the cheeseburger. SERIOUS. The pizza leftovers will be great for the kids. You won't regret eating well before the surgery. I lost about 8 pounds right off, and then had a hard time eating for a while. You'll remember your last meals fondly!
As for getting sick, make your kids wash their hands when they get home from school, and you wash your hands every time you go out to the store, the gas station, whatever. I keep antibacterial hand wipes in the car; the gels are excellent, too. DO NOT RUB YOUR EYES OR TOUCH YOUR NOSE OR MOUTH with your fingers. Period. Unless you're in the shower or JUST washed your hands with soap and water. Try to keep your face away from your kids' nose and mouth. You can hug them and kiss their neck or hair! :)

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Oh, I've never counted calories. If anything I need to gain some weight. I'm 5'4" and weigh 117 and I'm afraid of losing too much because at anything less than 110 I look horrible. Okay, I will take your advice and eat whatever I want, whenever I want for the next 11 days. No problem. LOL

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger Shontelly said...

Hi Rebecca,

Fattening up before surgery is the best part! I'm 5'4 as well and I also was worried that I'd get too thin.

I'm going to add your blog to my blog if that's ok. :)

Shontell

 

Post a Comment

<< Home