Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Poke, poke, poke

I'm one of those masochists who pride themselves on their high pain thresholds and "toughing it out". I went through unmedicated, induced labor with my first child. I got through a cracked rib with rare complaint. I've dealt with intense pain in my jaw and migraines for years without going stark-raving mad.

But I cannot--cannot--deal with those poky little wires on my braces. You know, the ones in the back that rub sores on the insides of your cheeks whenever your braces shift. I was all proud of myself when I first got my braces because I would forgo the wax in order to produce those handy dandy callouses even quicker. In 6 months I have not used wax once. Not once! I know, I sound like one of those moms who think they are superior because they braved natural childbirth. But seriously, I want the callouses. I don't want to rely on wax.

But for the past 2 days the top wire on my right side has been poking me and dragging across my cheek whenever I open my mouth, making a nice tender sore. I'd go right to the OD to get it snipped, but as I said before it's a MAJOR pain in the arse to get in there, and I work all day and can't take too much time off. So I have to deal until Dec 6, when I go back for my regular appointment.

I'm sitting here very, very tempted to get out the wax. It's there, in the bathroom, next to my floss, calling to me, taunting me....

1 Comments:

At 8:04 PM, Blogger Mrs. Shanton said...

Get the wa-ax... Get the wa-ax!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home