Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Late May 2006--Brace Yourself


On May 30, 2006, I strutted into Dr. J's office with the attitude of "Let's get this over with." I got the financial stuff squared away with Mary, and was sent off for more pictures and some plaster molds (I hate doing those! I felt like puking). Then, I sat in The Chair. I expected Dr. J to do the bracing, but I didn't even see him at first. One of his qualified and professional staff members was going to do the job. Fine by me.

I had braces once before, when I was 11 or 12, but I barely remember it at all. Maybe because they didn't help. This time, at age 29, I figured it would be a breeze. And getting the braces put on WAS a breeze. I could only get the top ones because of the position of my two front teeth. I got 6 clear ones and the rest were metal. After she was finished she handed me a mirror and I stared in horror and resignation at my braced top teeth, all the while reminding myself that with pain and awkwardness comes beauty and a nice smile. After all, I always wanted a nice smile and here I was, doing something about it. Go me!

Dr. J took a peek at me before I left and told me I'd start feeling my teeth move within a week. And he was right. The pain the next day was excruciating. I couldn't chew any food at all and I got a monster headache. My nerves were jumping like crazy and the inside of my lip was rubbed raw from the brackets and hooks.

I suddenly remembered what a huge pain in the ass braces are. Don't even get me started on the first few days of flossing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home