Sunday, November 05, 2006

November 2006--Thoughts

I forgot to add in my last post that I got some springs on my arch wires to space my teeth for surgery. They look funny and they shred my floss. But hell, they're working. I can literally feel them tugging my teeth apart. Weird.

The other day I realized I could bite together properly again. For the past few months my teeth seemed to be hitting each other in an unnatural way, but now they fit together better. I can chew a bit better, though that overbite still makes it impossible to bite straight on. I have to bite everything from the side. On Halloween I tried to eat a package of Swedish Berries candy. I LOVE those. I did manage to chew them, with my very back molars. Yummy. I was very, very careful though. All in all my eating habits haven't changed much since braces. No more gum, hard bread, or nuts, but everything else is fair game. I LOVE to eat!!!

I don't have an ortho appointment this month (Dec. 6 is my next one) so for this month I thought I'd compile a list:

Braces at 30 vs. Braces at 12

Pros:

1. At 30, you don't have to go to school and hear kids call you names like "Braceface" and "Metal Mouth". (But now it may happen with your co-workers at work.)

2. At 30, you are too busy with kids, house cleaning, and work to even remember your braces half the time. ("Where's the Windex? I have to clean this mirror...Oh yeah! I forgot about those metal things in my mouth!")

3. At 30, your braces count as an interesting conversation piece. ("No, they don't pick up satellite signals.")

4. At 30, you appreciate your braces a lot more because it's not your parents mortgaging their house again to pay for them. (Now it's you)

5. At 30, you're mature enough to brush and floss properly and since you still glow under the praise of your orthodontist, there is plenty of opportunity for a good ego-stroking. ("Thanks, I take really good care of them." *insert angelic smile*)

Cons:


1. At 30, you usually have a spouse or significant other, whom you occasionally like to kiss, and braces make this difficult ("Ow! My lip!")

2. At 30, as an adult with braces, you sometimes get mistaken for a teenager. ("I'm old, I'm braced, get over it.")

3. At 30, you worry about the money and time involved with orthodontia. ("Um, how much did you say that was?")

4. At 30, you don't get the pleasure of getting an afternoon off school to go to the orthodontist. Now it's just an inconvenient pain in the ass. ("F%%king traffic!")

5. At 30, in the age of the internet, you have a newfound obsession with one thing: Google. ("Ahhh, how did we manage without it.")


One more thing. If you want a laugh, check out this guy's orthognathic surgery blog. Hilarious! http://www.thefark.com/surgery/








5 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger Mrs. Shanton said...

Hi, Rebecca. My lower jaw surgery is scheduled for February 9th; I am 38 years old and I, too, have a Blogger.com weblog, which you're welcome to link to. There are quite a few adults whose blogs I link to, also. We're giving each other a lot of support. I found your site on the Yahoo message boards--aren't they a life saver??

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Mrs. Shanton said...

BTW, I recommend you set your comments to require the word recognition so you don't get awful spam comments!

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Thanks! I fixed my comments. I linked you too. :)

Rebecca

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Brandyleigh35 said...

Hi Rebecca,
Are you having lower jaw surgery? I will be having that in May 07. I'm just about ready right now, but I need to wait til May so I can have the summer off for recovery. You can check out my blog also if you like.

Brandy

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Brandy. I don't know if I'm having lower yet. My OS said I might not need it. Just upper and genio. I won't find out for sure until closer to my surgery.

Rebecca

 

Post a Comment

<< Home