Thursday, January 24, 2008

Retainers--1 week later

I've been in my Essixes for a week now and I thought I'd update my progress. Everything is going well. I noticed the other day that one of my front top teeth moved a bit. Before I got my retainer molds, Dr. J shaved my two front teeth down to look even. Now they aren't anymore, and I have no idea how that happened, since the retainer keeps my teeth still. Argh!

Caring for my retainers: Let me just say it's easier than caring for my braces! It's annoying sometimes having to pop them out when I eat and drink anything other than water, but I am sick right now and not eating much anyway. Every morning I brush my retainers, and every night I soak them in Polident Retainer cleaner. This stuff rocks. It's meant for Hawleys, but it gives the Essix ones a good cleaning too. It's mainly baking soda. It keeps the odor and plaque away.

I can feel my teeth pushing against the retainers sometimes, and it gives me this weird sense of satisfaction to, I don't know, restrain them back. You're not going anywhere, suckers! Bwaa ha ha. They're trying go go back to the way they used to be, you know. But I won't let them. So there. I wonder how long it will take for my bones and muscles to give up and let my teeth settle in their new position. I do have stubborn bones, you see. Just like the rest of me.

I have one more week of wearing them full-time and then I can switch to night time only. But I probably won't. I'll most likely pop them in during the afternoon and evening too, for another month or so. A few extra hours here and there can't hurt.

In a couple of weeks I'm going to the dentist for a cleaning. I really need one!

A note about flossing since getting my braces off...it is so freaking easy and quick! I can floss in 3 seconds. It's awesome.

2 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Just read your whole blog today, what a wealth of information you are! I had SARPE surgery back on June 1st of last year to expand my pallet and now I am having a Lefort I in 7 1/2weeks. I'm nervous but confident this is a good thing! I haven't found a lot of people that have had just the upper jaw done. Thanks so much for your blog!!!

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger christine slate said...

I will be having 9 teeth pulled on topand then alveoplasty. I knowthatthe surgeon has precisely done this procedure many times before. I was so glad to read about your experience in surgery. It gives me courage to finally go through with it and get top dentures after putting it off for 5 years now. Did I mention that I will be waiting to have my denture put in until I am healed up. 20 people surveyed and it seems like a better fit for dentures in the long run , to wait to put them in.I just have to remember what my mother once said,"don't be vain, &goodthings will come to those who wait" . I can't wait to show off my new smile when I am all done . Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with surgery. It helped me, and that's got to mean something> Christine 42 Florida

 

Post a Comment

<< Home